ACTION: Call D.C. to Stop Sen. Manchin’s Dirty Deal to Fast-Track Mountain Valley Pipeline
Together, we’ve killed this zombie bill before, and we can do it again! TAKE ACTION:
- Call key targets and ask them to VOTE NO on any rule that advances the dirty deal.
You can use this script: “Hi, my name is ____, & I’m calling on behalf of ____. We urge your boss to vote NO on any rule that would advance Senator Manchin’s dirty permitting deal. This legislation is an unacceptable fossil fuel giveaway that makes a mockery of our climate and environmental justice goals. I urge you to VOTE NO on this effort to fast-track fossil fuel projects, harm our climate, & sacrifice communities.”
- Send an email to House democrats asking them to VOTE NO on any rule that advances the dirty deal. You can use this contact list and customize from the language below:I’m writing to urge your boss to vote no on any rule that advances the dirty deal.
We understand the House may vote as early as tomorrow on a rule that would advance a version of Senator Manchin’s permitting bill, currently known as the Energy Independence and Security Act. The public continues to strongly oppose the dirty deal, and we ask your boss to vote no on the rule.
The latest reports this morning are that Speaker Pelosi is advocating for Senator Manchin’s policy language to be included in the NDAA.
The text is expected to be substantially similar to the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) that was attached to the CR, with some tweaks to accommodate Republicans, potentially inclusion of the harmful Clean Water Act provisions that were in the leaked API-watermarked draft. The text is likely to still gut the National Environmental Policy Act and be a direct attack on environmental justice communities and our climate. We need your help to keep this controversial and damaging provision off the NDAA.
We also would love it if your boss would join members of Congress in speaking out against this deal in a public statement or on social media.
Pressure to kill this dirty deal continues to grow. In case you haven’t seen it yet, 750 environmental and climate justice groups joined environmental justice leaders, including members from the White House Environmental Justice Advisory Council, writing to leadership in opposition to the dirty deal. 11 leaders of environmental, labor, and EJ organizations were arrested in protest of the deal. 400 scientists and health professionals joined in raising the public health and climate risks of this dirty deal, along with the President of the American Lung Association.
80 congress members and 8 senators have urged leadership to detach this deal from must-pass legislation, citing the significant environmental justice concerns of this legislation’s environmental rollbacks. Recent polling shows that a majority of voters support considering the permitting deal as a standalone bill.
We hope we can count on your boss to stand up for communities and our climate and vote no on any rule that advances the dirty deal.
- Urge your network to take action against the dirty deal:
- URGENT: The #DirtyDeal could be voted on tomorrow morning. Use the numbers & script below to urge your Rep, Senator, & Speaker Pelosi to vote NO on any rule that advances the #DirtyDeal. #PeoplevsFossilFuels
- “My name is __, & I’m from __. I’m urging you to vote NO on any rule that would advance Senator Manchin’s dirty permitting deal. I’m deeply concerned about any legislation that would fast-track fossil fuel projects, harm our climate, & sacrifice communities.”